FLANDERS announced this week that its Brisbane operation is now ISO45001 certified. It is the leading Occupational Health and Safety system, governed by an internationally recognized organization, ISO. ISO 45001:2018 is an international standard that targets an organization’s occupational health and safety management. It provides FLANDERS with a framework to build a comprehensive management system that protects the health and safety of those working in the organization and any relevant stakeholders.
“The ISO45001 is an occupational health and safety management standard (OHSMS) that assists businesses like FLANDERS in developing health and safety objectives and implementing practices to keep the workplace safe for all of our employees,” said General Manager of Australia, Graeme Findlay.
“It provides a structured and systematic approach to identifying and eliminating risks. By being ISO45001 certified, we are enabled to provide a safe and healthy workplace by preventing work-related injury and ill health, as well as by proactively improving our OH&S performance,” added Findlay.
What is ISO 45001?
ISO 45001 applies to any type of organization – large or small – within any business sector. It is based on OHSAS 18001, and other recognized OH&S standards and conventions. It replaced OHSAS 18001 in 2018 as the leading international standard; the transition deadline is September 2021.
ISO 45001 applies the ISO High-Level Structure (HLS), which defines the structure for all ISO standards easing integration with other generic management system standards. This benefits companies already certified to standards such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
The benefits of ISO45001 certification allow:
- Demonstrate our commitment to safety
Based on the well-established management principles of Plan-Do-Check-Act, ISO 45001 requires FLANDERS to:
- identify hazards and assess occupational health and safety risks related to business activities and services
- determine the necessary controls; and
- set clear objectives and targets to improve our OH&S performance.
The ISO 45001 certification enables FLANDERS to:
- Establish and continually improve an OH&S management system to eliminate or minimize risk to personnel and other interested parties exposed to hazards associated with our business activities and services
- Work systematically to improve our occupational health and safety performance and prevent (re)occurrence of accidents and incidents
- Assure our conformance with stated OH&S policy and demonstrate conformance to others.
- Continually comply with applicable OH&S legal requirements.
How ISO 45001 supports the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals
Organizations committed to sustainability increasingly align their corporate strategies to the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Accredited certification of ISO 45001, the international occupational health and safety management system, demonstrates an organization’s commitment to ensuring decent work conditions, health, well-being, and equality practices. For organizations seeking to enhance their ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) profile, implementing ISO 45001 and its alignment with the SDGs sends a powerful message to shareholders and stakeholders, including employees, that they genuinely care for their people.